Prospective Belk College MBA students who meet certain requirements may request a GMAT/GRE waiver. When evaluating waiver requests, the MBA Admissions Committee considers factors such as:
- Prior academic coursework and grades (specifically in quantitative coursework)
- Professional or military experience that demonstrates applied quantitative and analytical skills
- Professional certifications with a quantitative focus such as PE, CPA, CFA, FINRA, Six Sigma, etc.
Please note that no GMAT/GRE waiver is automatic, and an approved waiver application does not guarantee later acceptance into the program.
An unapproved waiver application does not mean that a candidate will be denied admission to the program. It means that the MBA Admissions Committee is requiring the GMAT/GRE as additional information needed to evaluate an applicant's academic readiness and quantitative competencies.
The GMAT/GRE waiver is only available to candidates who have not yet taken a standardized test or who have not had their test scores reported to UNC Charlotte.
To be elgible for a GMAT/GRE waiver, candidates must fully satisfy the requirements of one of the following options:
Option A (Standard Waiver)
Candidates must possess at least 5 years of professional or military experience with increasing levels of responsibility (significant leadership experience is a plus), a cumulative undergraduate or graduate (must have at least 9 hours of earned graduate credit) GPA of 3.0 or higher from an accredited program and, if relevant, institution*.
Option B (Quantitative Coursework Waiver)
Candidates must possess at least 5 years of professional or military experience with increasing levels of responsibility (significant leadership experience is a plus), and be able to demonstrate preparedness in quantitatively-oriented coursework (must have at least a 3.0 GPA in courses in the areas of Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, Managerial Accounting, Financial Accounting, Statistics and Calculus).
Candidates who meet the experience requirement, but do not have enough (or any) quantitative coursework to have their quantitative competencies assessed, must complete modules through MBAMath.com (or other approved online providers) with scores of 80% in each required module among the 5 areas (economics, finance, accounting, statistics and spreadsheets).
Option C (Exemplary Professional or Military Experience Waiver)
Candidates must possess at least 10 years of professional or military experience with increasing levels of responsibility. The candidate’s experience should demonstrate leadership, problem solving ability and analytical thinking.
Option D (Doctoral Degree Waiver)
Candidates who possess a doctoral degree (J.D., M.D., Ph.D., etc.) with at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA from an accredited institution*, will automatically have their GMAT/GRE requirement waived.
* AACSB accreditation for business programs; LCME or COCA for medical programs; ABA for law programs; ABET for engineering, computer science and information systems programs; others on a case-by-case basis.
Applying for a GMAT/GRE Waiver
To apply for the GMAT/GRE waiver, candidates will need to complete a two part application process:
- Create an MBA application via the UNC Charlotte Graduate School's online application portal. You will need to upload a copy of your current resume/CV and unofficial academic transcript (from each college or university attended)* to your application. Please note that you are NOT required to fully complete and submit your MBA application to have your GMAT/GRE waiver request considered.
- Complete the GMAT/GRE Waiver form.
*Candidates who earned their degree from a foreign institution may be asked to obtain a credential evaluation from a NACES provider to verify they meet the GPA requirement.